LATEST COVID-19 NEWS FROM THE GROUP
IMPORTANT 8TH WIMBLEDON SCOUT GROUP COVID-19 NEWS #2
16th March 2020
In the light of the PMs press briefing today and the subsequent up scaling of procedures, I am placing all physical Group Meetings, all activities and events into immediate suspension. We will reassess near the commencement of the next term and advise on a term by term basis. You will hear independently from your child’s Section Leaders over the next few days with regards to any finer details of what they may or may not be able to offer remotely during this period.
The Founder of Scouting, Baden-Powell, famously said that, “A Scout whistles and hums in all adversity”. This certainly is such a time. We encourage our Members to keep in touch and consider any badges they may be able to complete away from the Hall. Details can be found on the Section pages of our website. 8thwimbledon.org
We encourage them to safely think of others.
Look out for and after each other,
I am always happy to discuss anything Scouting via 07850 335372 and to hear from any of you via email@example.com
Yours In Scouting,
Ron Crabb - Group Scout Leader (GSL)
8th Wimbledon Scout Group
Part of the community since 1909
8th Wimbledon Scout Group Covid-19 Group Update #1
12th March 2020
Dear Parents/Guardians of Members of the 8th Wimbledon Scout Group,
You will all be aware of the Covid-19 (also known as Coronavirus) Global pandemic we are facing which is now on our doorstep in the U.K.
At the time of writing this message it is Thursday, 12th March 2020, and the Cobra meeting assessing the spread of Covid-19 has just announced the escalation of the National Status to one of Delay.
The infection rate and required approach is an evolving situation. Therefore:
The Policy that we have committed to as a Scout Group is to follow and instigate the guidance being regularly provided to us by The Scout Association, which essentially states that we should follow the latest Guidance and Policy of the Government and Public Health England (PHE).
We encourage all Parents/Guardians to regularly find and familiarise themselves with the latest advice and instruction online at gov.uk and follow the Coronavirus (Covid-19) - What you need to do link, appearing on the Home page. Please read the contents fully.
We also encourage all Parents/Guardians to regularly find and familiarise themselves with the information contained on the page Coronavirus (Covid-19) - What you need to do to the Publication, COVID-19: guidance for educational settings. Please read the contents fully.
We require all Parents/Guardians/Youth Members and Adult Leaders and Helpers to comply with the latest Government Policy regarding Covid-19.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
FREEDOM OF CHOICE:
- You may decide to withdraw your child from attending Scouting with us, given the developing scenario, simply as a personal choice. If you do, you must immediately email firstname.lastname@example.org to advise us - in return you will receive communication from your child’s Section to discuss how long your child’s place will be reserved for. This may cause a temporary reduction in numbers attending, resulting in it being impractical to continue to keep that Section or the Group operating on a weekly basis. (See HOW WE WILL ADVISE YOU below.)
- Adult Leaders and Helpers are equally being given the freedom of choice regarding their attendance in undertaking activities with us, given the developing scenario. This may cause a staffing shortage, resulting in it being impractical to continue to keep that Section or the Group operating on a weekly basis. (See HOW WE WILL ADVISE YOU below.)
ILLNESS, ISOLATION AND HOW TO ADVISE US
- If a Youth Member is generally unwell and is not demonstrating Covid-19 related symptoms, and will not be attending, it is essential that you immediately email either email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com - as appropriate.
- If a Youth Member demonstrates any of the key symptoms requiring isolation, as detailed on gov.uk, or has been placed into enforced isolation as a result of exposure to Covid-19, it is essential that you immediately email to firstname.lastname@example.org detailing the situation, including any known contacts associated with attendance at the Scout Group and the anticipated dates for Isolation.
HYGIENE AND VIRUS PRECAUTIONS
- We require all those attending a weekly Meeting indoors to wash their hands with soap and water when they arrive and before they leave. They will also do so before eating or preparing any food or snacks during the Meeting and immediately after any potential hazards for contamination are identified.
- We require all those attending a weekly Meeting outdoors to wash their hands with soap and water before they travel to the Meeting and when they arrive home. They will also do so before eating or preparing any food or snacks during the Meeting and immediately after any potential hazards for contamination are identified.
- We require Parents/Guardians to educate their Youth Member on the latest advice, especially regarding coughs, sneezes, interactions with others, washing hands, and minimising risks by keeping hands away from mouths and eyes where possible and all required self-care practise from gov.uk regarding Covid-19. Make sure that your Youth Member knows to speak with a Leader or Helper if they feel ill during a Meeting or Scouting activity.
- The Government currently advises against the use of masks and so they will not be worn.
- A bin will be provided for any tissues, and soap and water are available in the washrooms. Where possible (supplies are short in stores atm) please provide your child with disposable tissues.
CHANGES TO OUR ACTIVITIES
We may need to cancel or postpone our activities as this evolves and as Guidance and Policy changes - sometimes with short notice. You may find that Sections choose to increasingly hold their Meetings outdoors or even adapt to offer distance-learning Scouting activities. These are just examples of alternatives to Meeting at the Hall. Each of these choices may have implications as we have various restrictions on ratios of adults to Youth Members for some Sections and Activity policies and procedures we all have to comply with. There may even be no activity for a period of time.
We are cancelling our Group Christmas Camp, due to the potential number of attendees, the uncertainties of the developing impact from the virus as it reaches its predicted peak in 10-14 weeks’ time, plus the subsequent drop off period, and the financial implications of cancelling it at a later stage. At the moment, the District St. George’s Day Parade on 26th April is still going ahead. There is a Scout Section Night Hike and Camp planned - as it stands at the moment, this is going ahead.
Details regarding plans, amendments or cancellations to Section-related activities will come from your child’s Section Leaders.
Details regarding plans, amendments or cancellations for Group events or changes to our Group Policy for Covid-19 will come from me.
HOW WE WILL ADVISE YOU
It is important that all Parents/Guardians have created a free account with Online Scout Manager (OSM), as per our previous emails. If you are having problems doing so, please ring me on 07850 335372. If another Parent/Guardian says to you that they have not received this email please encourage them to contact me.
From now on, all communications regarding Covid-19 will come to you via OSM. This is the quickest way for us to respond to evolving changes. Please ensure that you have allowed the email address and/or check your junk file regularly, particularly on a night where your child is due to attend, as there may be news about that night.
ANY QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS
Please do ring me on 07850 335372 or email me on email@example.com
We thank you for your patience, understanding and cooperation at this difficult and uncertain time. Let’s keep talking.
With very best wishes,
Group Scout Leader (GSL)
8th Wimbledon Scout Group
Part of the Community Since 1909